Be a part of the nationwide law enforcement initiative that removes the tools of crime from criminal organizations, depriving wrongdoers of proceeds from their crime and impacting the infrastructure of criminal enterprises.
Advance Employee Intelligence (AEI) strives to help government agencies develop a solid foundation and business strategy so they can be successful. Providing our Nation's Leading Organizations with Mission Critical Superior Service. AEI a HUBZone employer has a vacancy for a Paralegal/Legal Assistant III. In this role, you will be supporting the overall mission of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).
Note : This position to provide administrative support for the executive offices of the ATF Office of Chief Counsel. Duties will also include records management for the division and paralegal case support as required
- Assists attorney in reviewing case material to include gathering and analyzing case material and preparing a digest of selected decisions/opinions, including legal references. May provide Legal Clerk/Paralegal II review.
- Receives, examines, and evaluates new and complex cases with reference to the facts of the case and established standards.
- Assists in determining probable cause by reviewing investigative reports, establishing the need for further evidence and information, and planning a comprehensive approach to obtaining that information and evidence. Advises attorneys of the strengths and weaknesses of probable cause and potential defenses.
- Investigates facts and laws of cases and searches public records and other resources to prepare cases and determine causes of action by using a variety of legal research tools, public information databases, and other automated resources. Interviews federal agents and other law enforcement officers regarding the probable cause for forfeiture and the availability of evidence and witnesses.
- Assists attorney in pretrial preparations by preparing, reviewing, and organizing discovery; notifying, interviewing, and preparing summaries; and managing witnesses.
- Assists attorney in convincing the affected individuals of the correctness of the legal position and appropriateness of the settlement. Also prepares documents for settlement or disposition.
- Prepares legal pleadings, motions, papers, and proposed orders.
- Organizes and manages files, documents, and indexing exhibits.
- Summarizes documents and proceedings, including depositions, interrogatories, and testimony to assist attorneys.
- Uses various databases and programs to extrapolate data for reports, charts, graphs, and trial exhibits.
- Provides training to other personnel as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Duties will also include records management for the division and paralegal case support as required
Candidates currently living in a HUBZone strongly preferred. to check whether your address qualifies.
- Paralegal Certificate with at least one-year paralegal experience; or High School Diploma/GED with at least three-years' paralegal experience
- One-year of automated litigation support experience with knowledge of the capabilities and use of automated resources and technology for the development, presentation, and prosecution of federal cases
- Knowledge of forfeiture law, policies, and procedures and trial experience preferred
- Knowledge of the principles, concepts, and methods of legal research and analysis sufficient to perform case development and documentation assignments which are typically covered by established precedents
- Excellent communication skills; oral and written, to include legal writing skills
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Experience with the Microsoft Office suite of applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and other common software applications, to include databases
- Proven commitment and expertise to provide excellent customer service; positive and flexible; ability to multi-task
- Ability to work in a team environment, deliver the highest quality of work, and maintain a professional disposition under extreme pressure
- Preference will be given to candidates with 1 year post Paralegal certificate/education experience.
This position requires U.S. Citizenship and a 7 (or 10) year minimum background investigation.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) mission is to enforce the federal laws and regulations relating to alcohol, tobacco, firearms, explosives and arson by working directly and in cooperation with other federal, state and local law enforcement agencies. ATF has the authority to seize and forfeit firearms, ammunition, explosives, alcohol, tobacco, currency, conveyances and certain real property involved in violation of law.
FSA is proud to be an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote qualified persons in all job titles without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, HIV status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation (including gender expression and identity) veteran status, family leave status, and any protected group status as defined by applicable law. FSA is proud to maintain a drug-free workplace. Satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screening is a condition of employment. As a supplier of services to federal government agencies, such as DEA, FBI, USCIS, USPIS, etc., we also adhere to agency standards with respect to prior drug usage. COVID Policy: As a Federal Government Contractor, FSA falls under the guidelines of Executive Order 14042 and the Safer Federal Workforce Taskforce. Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with FSA's COVID -19 Policy and be fully vaccinated before the start of employment. If applicable, during the offer process, prospective or new employees may seek a reasonable accommodation due to a disability (which would include medical conditions) or because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance. While at a Federal workplace, employees must also comply with any additional agency workplace safety requirements for that workplace.