At Commonwealth Technology Innovation (CTI), a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII), our mechanical engineers are challenged to develop unique customized solutions that seamlessly blend technology and tradecraft. We value integrity, imagination and hands-on creativity and recruit talent with diverse backgrounds who bring a broad spectrum of technical experience to our team. We expect that you will apply your skills and shape this position based on your strengths and interests. Even though our parent company, Alion, is a large business, CTI preserves our small company feel and our engineers have the time to focus on their work while maintaining the big-picture perspective. Beyond our competitive salary and benefits structure, our engineers earn a sense of accomplishment by making meaningful contributions to our nation's security priorities. By joining the CTI team, your engineering skills can help solve our customer's most challenging problems and build upon the industry leading reputation we've developed over five decades.
Staff in this position provide a wide application of principles, theories and concepts in their field and provide solutions to a wide range of difficult problems with imaginative and thorough solutions. He or she is familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices and procedures. He or she relies on experience and judgement to plan and accomplish goals and performs a variety of complicated tasks.
The person in this position designs the complex aspects of our products and supports teams that design, develop, document, assemble and test all aspects of components and complex systems. He or she will personally conduct procurement of required COTS and build-to-print parts. He or she presents work with the CTI project team members to obtain requirement guidance and develop and get approval of task requirements. Coordinates with and presents reports to CTI Project Managers and Manufacturing Managers and in task accomplishment.
- Designs, develops and tests components for government customers. Relies on instructions and preestablished guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.
- Works with vendors to procure parts and components as required to complete development efforts. Maintains up-to-date documentation on all projects to include parts lists, drawings, and other pertinent technical information.
- Provides input to labor and cost estimates to produce parts, assemble, adjust and test equipment and systems for proposals, including materials costs. Manufacturing Support Works closely with engineering to review designs and assess manufacturability.
- Fabricates and assembles metal components (thin sheet, tube and structural) from drawings and computer aided design models. Sets up and operates a variety of metal cutting and shaping machines/tools. Weld components using MIG/TIG techniques on aluminum and steel. Maintain welding equipment and maintain stockage of associated supplies. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures. A certain degree of creativity is required.
- Performs fault finding and problem solving.
- Practices company safety and quality policies and procedures. Actively requires conformance. Relies on experience and judgement to plan and accomplish work. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Use CAD software (Inventor / Solidworks) to design products, generate models and 3D print parts
- Make custom parts using CNC mill and lathe. Use MasterCam to develop instruction sets for CNC machines.
- Fabricate and assemble products.
- Maintain shop stock and order replacement material when needed
- Coordinate periodic maintenance and repair of shop machinery
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering..
- Experience with hardware design and manufacturing, including CNC mills and lathes. Knowledge of Inventor or Solidworks, AutoCAD and MasterCam.
- Experience performing hands-on assembly of and modifications to electromechanical systems.
- Experience analyzing complex functions, procedures, and problems to find creative, logical and effective solutions.
- Secret clearance to start with the ability to obtain higher level clearance.
- Desired Skill: Welding
Security Clearance: Secret
Telework - Not Eligible